Log in  \/ 
x
x
x
Register  \/ 
x

10
March
2014

How to create a custom Service Request Area and get meaningful values of that in Excel reports (part 2)

In the first post I described a situation with custom enumerators and outriggers in Microsoft System Center 2012 Service Manager. This situation is common for all currently existing versions of the application.

After many tests I have found a way to resolve this issue.

DISCLAIMER: It works for me but I have to warn you that it’s “AS IS” solution and you shouldn’t do it without a full backup of your SCSM environment. In addition, I highly recommend you to practice in the lab before using in the production. You are warned and we may continue.

If you have already imported management packs with outriggers, this workaround does not work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Update.

Please vote on MS connect to fix this bug

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/feedback/details/1752469

---------------------------------------------------------------------

To present values of the new custom enumerators in the OLAP cubes you have to do the following steps:

1. Delete the management packs (very carefully): Service Manager Service Catalog Cube Library, Service Manager Service Request Data Warehouse Library.

SCSM OLAP Cube outrigger

2. Open SQL Management Studio, connect to Analysis Services. There first delete Service Manager Service Catalog Library Cube, then delete ServiceRequestDim dimention.

Open SQL Management Studio, connect to Database Engine. There delete table ServiceRequestDim (All data will be lost)

SCSM Cube GUID outrigger

3. Import the management packs: Navus.ServiceRequestAreaCustom.Library.mp, NAVUS.ServiceRequest.FormAddon.mp, Navus.customSRarea.outrigger.MP.mp, Navus.ServiceRequestAreaCustom.Extension.xml.

4. Run MPSyncJob. Wait for completion.

5. Create at least one Service Request with defined value for the new custom enumerator.

6. Import the management pack ServiceRequestWarehouseMP.mpb from the folder “C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\Service Manager” (for R2 “C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\Service Manager”).

7. Run MPSyncJob. Wait for completion.

8. After MPSyncJob is completed, two columns, ServiceRequestAreaCustom_ServiceRequestAreaEditableId and ServiceRequestAreaCustom, will appear in the ServiceRequestDim table of the DWDataMart database.

OLAP CUbe GUID outrigger

9. Import the management pack ServiceCatalogCubes.mpb from the folder “C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\Service Manager” (for R2 “C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\Service Manager”).

10. Run MPSyncJob. Wait for completion.

11. Wait up to 24 hours to let ETL jobs run several times and the Service Manager Service Catalog Library Cube be processed.

After this procedure you will be able to see meaningful values instead of GUIDs in Excel reports.

Cube GUID outrigger

Categories: System Center 2012, System Center 2012 Service Manager

Comments (8)

  • Greg

    Greg

    17 December 2014 at 06:51 |
    Nice post guys... thanks! Question - How would you replicate this for other work item classes with cubes? For example - the Incident Class? I don't see the same types of Reporting MPs to delete - LIke I don't see a "Service Manager Work Items Cube Library". What DW MP is the Work Items cube originating from?

    reply

  • Marat Kuanyshev

    Marat Kuanyshev

    17 December 2014 at 18:07 |
    I sent an email to you, Greg! I hope ot will help :)

    reply

    • Greg

      Greg

      06 February 2015 at 02:06 |
      Hi Guys - Be aware that this will break connectors if you try to do this AFTER installing SCSM 2012 R2 UR4. The error logs of the connectors refer to something about datawarehouse enumeration issues. This happens when you re-import the MPs per your instruction - you are importing the pre-UR4 ones which causes the issues.

      reply

  • husmen

    husmen

    29 January 2015 at 15:04 |
    Hi Marat, can you please send me the solution with incidents, too?
    Or you may publish it.

    Thanks

    reply

  • Adam

    Adam

    21 February 2015 at 12:08 |
    Hi Greg,

    I performed your instructions using my own set of management packs which perform the same ServiceRequestArea extension.

    I got the same results as you up until step 8. In the ServiceRequestDim table, my custom attribute exists, but the second similarly named attribute appended with "_ServiceRequestAreaEditableId" does not appear.

    Any ideas what I might have done wrong? I have compared our xml side by side and mine *should* work properly too.

    Thanks
    Adam

    reply

  • Greg

    Greg

    21 February 2015 at 21:47 |
    I wouldn't recommend doing this work around if you are on a UR or CU of SCSM 2012 R2. If you have no installed or do not plan on installing any of the URs then it works fine. DO NOT do this if you are on a UR - The AD and SCCM connectors break as when you re-import the Sealed DW MPs (per the steps) you are actually importing the Sealed 2012 R2 MPs and not the UR X Sealed DW MPs. Here in lies the issue.

    reply

  • Wojciech Bakowski

    Wojciech Bakowski

    23 February 2015 at 13:54 |
    No problems with this workaround on SCSM 2012 R2 CU4.

    reply

  • Wojciech Bakowski

    Wojciech Bakowski

    23 February 2015 at 13:57 |
    Adam,
    Maybe your management packs extensions have already been imported into SCSM, before you start to execute instructions.

    reply

Leave a comment

You are commenting as guest.

This is the default dialog which is useful for displaying information. The dialog window can be moved, resized and closed with the 'x' icon.